Industrial Grade Optic Transceiver VS Commercial Grade Optical Transceiver（2023）
Industrial-grade optic transceivers refer to optical modules that can be used in harsh industrial environments with a high temperature difference (working temperature between -40°C and 85°C). It has the advantages of RGD function, great durability, and adaptability. You can learn the following from this article:
1. The different structures between industrial grade and commercial grade optic transceivers.
2. The different components and standard tests between industrial grade and commercial grade fiber optic transceivers.
3. The different applications between industrial grade and commercial grade optical modules.
Every module is qualified through rigorous procedures and advanced equipment to ensure high-quality and reliable optical devices for you.
The different structure between industrial grade and commercial grade transceiver module
The optical module is composed of optoelectronic devices, electric circuits, and optical interfaces, among which the optoelectronic devices include transmitting TX (optical transmitter) and receiving RX (optical receiver). The diagram below shows the structure of the SFP transceiver.
Optoelectronic devices: Simply put, the transmitting end converts the electrical signal into an optical signal. The receiver end converts the optical signal into electrical.
Electric circuit: Including RF circuit, IC circuit Digital control circuit and etc. Realize the transmission and processing of electrical signals.
Optical fiber connector: The optical fiber interface is a physical interface used to connect an optical fiber cable. The most common connectors are Standard Connector (SC), ST, Lucent Connector (LC), Ferrule Core Connector (FC) and other types.
Operating temperature: The biggest difference between the two type of optic transceivers is the working temperature range.
Commercial-grade optical module: 0~70℃
Industrial optical module: -40~85℃
Obviously, the Components between them are different. Let us see the next.
The different Component between industrial and commercial fiber optic transceiver
Assemble high-performance components
Industrial grade transceiver equipped with high-temperature-resistant semiconductor lasers can work well in Extreme temperatures (-40~85℃)for a very long time. Besides, the receiver end between commercial and industrial transceivers is different either. We applied a more durable APD receiver in the latter one. It makes sure a better performance in high temperature.
Import of temperature compensation software
Industrial-grade optical modules must import temperature compensation software, whose function is to control the stable working current supply of the optical module. When the temperature changes, the temperature compensation software will have its effect at this time.
To do the work of temperature compensation, it will take a lot of time for technicians to calculate its slope with every 5 degree (or 10 degrees) rise or fall as a node, and then write the corresponding IC of the optical module after the result is obtained. In (chip), this work requires our technicians to spend at least a few hours or even longer before the high and low temperature cycle of the old cargo box. The increase in raw material and manufacturing costs is the reason for the high prices of industrial-grade optical module products.
The different applications between industrial and commercial transceiver module
Note: The module in the picture below is undergoing high temperature testing.
Commercial optical transceiver: It is the most common and widely used product on the market, such as enterprise networks, data centers, indoor computer rooms and other network environments.
Industrial-grade optical module: It is used in a relatively harsh environment with a large working temperature difference. The most basic working condition is that it must meet the temperature requirements of minus 40 degrees and 85 degrees above zero. For example, remote mountainous areas, tunnels, etc. in the wild. Industrial-grade optical modules are generally used in conjunction with industrial-grade Ethernet switches and are used in industrial Ethernet networks in industries such as industrial and factory automation, railways and intelligent transportation systems (ITS), power facility substations, marine, oil and gas, and mining industries.
When purchasing an industrial-grade optical module, in addition to its transmission rate, the following factors need to be considered:
1. The transmission distance of industrial-grade optical modules. Generally, the transmission distance of multi-mode industrial-grade optical modules is shorter than that of single-mode industrial-grade optical modules, and the price is slightly cheaper. Depending on the actual situation, if there is no requirement for the transmission distance or short-distance transmission, you can choose a multi-mode industrial-grade optical module, if you need a long-distance transmission, choose a single-mode industrial-grade optical module.
2. Whether the hardware of the industrial-grade optical module meets the standard, the electrical components and housing of the industrial-grade optical module must be designed with hardened parts, and the chip and laser of the industrial-grade optical module must meet the requirements of industrial temperature (-40℃~85℃).
3. Does the industrial grade optical module have the function of self-physical cooling? Since the industrial-grade optical module works at a high temperature of 85°C, it must use heat-dissipating silica gel, which can effectively dissipate the heat generated by the laser for self-physical cooling.
4. Compatibility of industrial-grade optical modules. Choosing industrial-grade optical modules with good compatibility can avoid unnecessary troubles in future maintenance.
Now QSFPTEK provides industrial-grade optical transceivers at an affordable price. All modules are FCC, CF, ROSH, and TUV certified. Besides, the modules will be delivered to customers after passing a series of rigorous tests high including the Eye pattern test, Receiver sensitivity test, High low-temperature cycling test and etc. You try the QSFPTEK module once, then you will find that we are a high-quality choice for small and medium-sized enterprises. We try our best to improve product quality within the feasible range, like increasing the proportion of product testing, all measures make our profit to less than 10%. QSFPTEK focuses on providing customers with high-quality and low-cost products. You are welcome to visit www.qsfptek.com to purchase.